Dental Bonding in Northfield
An Economical Option for Enhancing the Beauty of Your Smile
Dental bonding is a procedure that uses a tooth-colored dental resin to make minor cosmetic changes or structural repairs to teeth. In certain situations, it can provide a fast, temporary alternative to more extensive and costly cosmetic procedures.
Dr. Davidson is a highly skilled cosmetic dentist and is very experienced in the use of dental bonding. He pays close attention to detail to ensure beautiful, natural-looking results.
How Dental Bonding Works
The surface of your tooth is first mildly roughened to provide a suitable surface area for the dental bonding to adhere to. It is then coated with a bonding agent to help the dental bonding resin adhere to the tooth.
Dr. Davidson colors the resin to the correct shade and applies it to your tooth’s surface. He then sculpts the material into the desired shape to provide a pleasing, aesthetic result. A high-intensity light is used to harden the material, after which the surface is finely polished, giving it the same gloss and texture as your natural tooth.
What Can Dental Bonding Be Used For?
Dental bonding is an economical option that can be used for a variety of situations:
- To repair chipped or cracked teeth
- To cover and improve the appearance of discolored or spotted teeth
- To bond up a veneer after orthodontics
- To close spaces between teeth
- To make teeth look longer
- To change the shape of teeth
- To fill a cavity as a natural-looking alternative to amalgam metal fillings
- To protect a portion of a tooth root that has been exposed due to gum recession
Advantages of Dental Bonding
Dental bonding has several advantages that make it very suitable for temporary or minor changes:
- Dental bonding is a fast procedure.
- Little advanced preparation is needed.
- Anesthesia is rarely necessary unless the bonding is being used to fill a cavity.
Bonding, Veneers or Crowns?
For some of the above situations, veneers and crowns can be better solutions than dental bonding. Veneers are usually more suitable when you want to make extensive changes to the shape, size or color of your teeth, or when you want the results to be long-lasting and as natural as possible.
Crowns are used when the affected teeth need extensive structural repair as well as cosmetic enhancement.
Crowns and veneers are more durable and resist staining better than dental bonding. Dental bonding is subject to discoloration in the long run, whereas crowns and veneers retain their original color.
Complimentary Cosmetic Consultation
Dr. Davidson can evaluate your smile and let you know what will work best for you. We offer a Complimentary Cosmetic Consultation so you can learn about your options. Your visit will include:
- Consultation with the doctor
- Discuss your smile goals
- Learn about treatment options at different budgets
- See examples of how your smile can change
- Get your questions answered
To make an appointment, call 330‑467‑6066 or click here to request an appointment online.